Mr. Clarke joined the Firm in 2012. He serves clients in the areas of hydropower development, licensing and compliance with over 30 years of legal experience.
Mr. Clarke’s legal practice encompasses all aspects of hydropower regulation with clients throughout the country, including investor-owned utilities, irrigation districts, municipalities, and developers. Mr. Clarke has been involved in many of the industry’s major licensing and relicensing proceedings under the Federal Power Act, and its implementing regulations administered through the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and has played a key role in developing cooperative environmental review processes with state and federal agencies and applicant-prepared NEPA documents. Mr. Clarke has represented clients in relicensing proceedings including both the traditional and the integrated licensing processes.
Prior joining the Firm, Mr. Clarke was a partner for 11 years at the Law Offices of GKRSE. Mr. Clarke’s practice has included 15 years in staff positions at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, where he ultimately served as Senior Legal Advisor to the FERC Chairman. Prior to joining GKRSE, Mr. Clarke was a partner in the law firm of Wilkinson, Barker, Knauer, and Quinn.
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1974
- Stanford University, A.B., 1971
- University of Hamburg, Germany, 1971
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- “Best Lawyer” for Energy Law and “Outstanding Lawyer" for Energy and Natural Resources in the 2014 editions of Washington DC publications
- National Hydropower Association, Henwood Award Recipient, 1999
- National Hydropower Association
- Energy Bar Association
- American Bar Association