Mr. Genzer joined the Firm in 1985. He presently serves as President of the firm. His practice has concentrated on energy and environmental counseling, project development, legislative advocacy and litigation. He has worked on electric and natural gas ratemaking, energy project development, bulk power supply, transmission system issues, contract negotiation, franchise issues, alternative energy resources (including wind, solar, geothermal, ocean, biomass, waste, etc.) and conservation and energy efficiency programs.
In the area of regulatory counseling, Mr. Genzer has been involved in environmental permitting, especially involving Clean Air Act issues and all phases of environmental reviews for energy projects. He has appeared before a variety of federal agencies and state and federal courts, including especially the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, and a variety of state commissions, agencies and courts.
Mr. Genzer also has an active federal legislative practice. He has worked with a number of local and state governments throughout the United States from New York to Hawaii. He has spoken on numerous occasions, especially on federal legislative activities, energy, environmental and utility issues. Mr. Genzer presently serves as General Counsel to the following organizations: the National Association of State Energy Officials, the National Association of Energy Service Companies, the National Energy Assistance Directors' Association and the Energy Programs Consortium.
Prior to his current work at the Firm, Mr. Genzer served as Staff Counsel to the Committee on Energy and Environment of the National Governors Association. In that role he drafted legislation in the energy and environmental area, and served as the chief energy lobbyist for the Association. He provided legal analysis for the Governors on such issues as electric utility regulation, environmental law issues, nuclear waste, oil overcharge refunds, toxic victims compensation and natural gas regulation. Mr. Genzer also coordinated the activities of the state energy offices. Mr. Genzer was also employed at the National Consumer Law Center. He monitored legislative and regulatory activities and wrote legal and policy memoranda in the field of energy law. Mr. Genzer also served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Micronesia. He worked on a number of development projects and served as the first energy planner in the region. Mr. Genzer supervised, planned, and constructed numerous water systems and other construction projects.
- Haverford College, B.A. (Honors/History), 1978
- Washington College of Law, The American University, J.D., 1983
- District of Columbia
- United States Claims Court
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- 2013 State Regulatory Practitioner Award - Energy Bar Association
- 2012 "Top Lawyer" for Government Law - "Washington, DC & Baltimore's Top Rated Lawyers"
- “2010 Champion of Energy Efficiency in Buildings” - American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy
- American Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- (Vice Chairman, Energy Research and Development Committee 1990-1991)
- (Chair, Legislation and Regulation Committee (1994-95))
- The District of Columbia Bar
• American Public Power Association, Industry Spotlight Series, National Conference 2018, “What Federal/State Jurisdictional Issues Mean for your System” (with Thomas Rudebusch, Michael Postar, Lisa Gast, Sean Neal)